U.S. Citizen Services
The United States Consulate General in Kolkata provides consular services for the states of West Bengal, Jharkhand, Nagaland, Mizoram, Manipur, Meghalaya, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Tripura and Assam. The US Embassy in New Delhi and our three fellow consulates serve the following districts:
The U.S. Embassy, New Delhi serves American citizens in the Indian states of Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttaranchal, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and the country of Bhutan.
The Consulate General in Chennai provides consular services for the states of Karnataka, Kerala, Puducherry, Lakshadweep, Tamil Nadu, Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
The Consulate General in Hyderabad provides consular services for the states of Andhra Pradesh and Orissa.
The Consulate General in Mumbai provides consular services for the states of Maharashtra, Goa, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Chhattisgarh and the Union Territories of Daman and Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
Bangalore (Virtual Consulate, check for service hours)
American Citizen Services unit is unable to assist with information regarding visas to the United States. For visa information, please visit the nonimmigrant visa section or send an inquiry to our support team. Stanley now handles all telephone and email queries through their new multi-language call center and takes calls from 8:00 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding holidays), and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00p.m. on Sunday. Please direct all your email queries now to support-india@ustraveldocs.
What We Can't Do
We would always like to help, but there are many frequently requested services that we are unable to perform, including:
- Provide information regarding U.S. visas or immigration benefits
- Assist with travel, employment or real estate
- Locate or provide information on U.S. citizens
- Locate lost property
- Pay personal debts for U.S. citizens
- Authorize or pay for medical treatment
- Prepare tax returns or translations
- Issue or authenticate U.S. birth/marriage/death certificates
- Issue U.S. police records
- Provide security or law enforcement services (including fingerprinting)
- Renew or replace driver's licenses
- Collect or forward mail/packages
- Cash checks
- Provide legal advice or intervene in judicial cases
- Assist with Indian or U.S. residency or immigration issues, including Green Cards or acquisition of U.S. citizenship
- Provide information on schools or businesses in the U.S. or India
Emergency Contact & Resources
security and travel information
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.