Minors (under 16 years)
Minors under age 16 wishing to renew an expiring or expired passport should follow this process. If you are filing a Consular Report of a Birth Abroad, you may submit it together with this application.
- Make an appointment online and print the appointment letter. Appointments are available for American citizens Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 12:30 pm. We are closed on the last Wednesday of every month and on American and Indian holidays
- Complete the DS-11 passport application online.
- Print application and bring with required documents to the interview. Do not sign the application for your child. You will do so in the presence of the consular officer.
Online application tips:
- Complete the address fields completely. If you are in India, your passport will not be sent back to the United States. When you drop off your application, you can designate if you wish to pick it up or have it sent to you by registered mail to an address in India.
- If completing an application without a social security number, you may enter all zeroes as a placeholder.
- Expedite fee: You do not need to select the "expedite fee" option; passports printed for citizens abroad are automatically expedited.
- Please fill out the emergency contact information even though it is not required.
- Print the form but do not use two-sided printing.
Except as described below, the child and both parents must appear in person.
- Current Passport
- One (1) studio-quality color photograph taken within the last six months measuring 2" x 2" (5cm x 5cm) with a white background. No other photo format can be accepted.
- For children under age 16, both parents must be present with photo identification to sign the passport application in the presence of a consular officer. The child must also be present. If one parent is absolutely unable to attend for special circumstances, he/she must send their passport and a statement indicating their agreement with the issuance of the passport (you may use Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent - Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16, or draft your own statement of consent). This statement must be notarized. The consular officer reserves the right to require additional evidence if the consent is notarized by a non-U.S. notary public. Other exceptions to the rule requiring the signature of both parents may apply, which should be discussed with a consular officer.
- For children under age 16, the parents must prove their parentage by showing a copy of the child's government-issued birth certificate. If the birth certificate lists the mother's maiden name, she should be able to prove her identity accordingly.
- For children age 16 or older, the child signs for him/herself (in the presence of the consular officer), so the parents need not be present, and there is no need to present a copy of the child's birth certificate.
- The child must prove his/her identity. If the child is easily identifiable by the consular officer by looking at the previous passport, no additional proof may be necessary. However, a child's appearance may change significantly over time, so the consular officer may ask for additional proof of identity. Please bring as much proof as possible.
- Growing age photos (i.e., a series of family photographs from various ages since the child's last passport was issued--for example, if the child is now five years old and the passport was issued shortly after his/her birth, bring family photos showing the child at ages 1, 2, 3 and 4).
Examples of items that can be used to establish a child's identity are:
- Person of Indian Origin (PIO) or Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card (issued by the Government of India).
- A passport issued by another country.
- School ID card with photo.
- Police/immigration registration record with attached photo.
Please check the complete fee information. If applying in person, you may pay with cash dollars, cash rupees (at the current exchange rate), demand draft or a major U.S. credit card. Personal checks are not accepted.
Passport Processing Time
Except in emergencies, passports are printed in the United States and take approximately 7-10 days. Please consider this timeline when renewing or applying for passports. You will receive an automated email when your passport is ready.
Passport Delivery or Pick Up
Once you receive the email stating your passport is ready, you may collect it from our office any day we are open from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. To permit another person to collect your passport, please provide them a signed letter of authorization and your fee receipt. They will need to bring photo identification. You do not need an appointment to pick up your passport.
The U.S. Consulate is pleased to provide courier delivery services for CRBA and U.S. passports. This service will allow for timely tracking and fast delivery of your CRBAs and passports. Please carefully read the instructions below to arrive at your appointment prepared.
1. The INR 350 fee may be paid by cash or demand draft in favor of “FIRST FLIGHT COURIERS LTD” at the First Flight Courier Office, 50 Chowringhee Road, Kolkata 700 071 (Landmark: IISCO House (Ground Floor of Building 2. This is opposite of Birla Planetarium), Working Hours: 10:00 -18:00 hrs IST, Monday to Saturday except all National & State holidays. For Further queries please contact First Flight Couriers Ltd at 033-3026171-1760 (within India) and overseas +91-33-30261751-1760 or by e-mail at email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org. Drafts can be drawn on any nationalized or foreign bank operating in India. Drafts of co-operative banks are not accepted at this time. Along with your payment, you will also be asked to submit a completed courier slip (PDF 6.5KB). Note: If not serviceable the consignment will be returned back to the consulate.
2. Once your CRBA or U.S. passport application is processed, the ACS Unit will return the sealed courier envelope containing your CRBA or U.S. passport to First Flight.
3. Once your CRBA or U.S. passport reach First Flight, you will be able to check the status of your delivery on First Flight’s website.
4. You will receive a receipt from First Flight with the return of your CRBA or U.S. passport.
If you opt to pick up your CRBA or passport in person, you may do so between 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding the last Wednesday of the month and American and Indian holidays. You do not need an appointment to pick up your CRBA or U.S. passport.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are submitting your passport renewal application by mail and would like to have your new passport couriered to you, please submit a courier slip (PDF 6.5KB) and an additional bank draft for INR 350 payable to "First Flight Couriers LTD". Bank drafts for courier fees can be drawn on any nationalized or foreign bank operating in India. Drafts of co-operative banks are not accepted at this time.