Lost or Stolen Passport
U.S. citizens whose passports have been lost or stolen should:
- File a police report with the Indian authorities as soon as possible. If you think you know where your passport was lost or stolen (in a hotel, airport, railway station, etc.) you should report the loss to the authorities at that location.
- Make an appointment online. Note: If you are traveling in the next week, no appointment is necessary. Please bring the required documents and fees to the Consulate on Monday to Friday between 9:00 am to 12:30 pm. We are closed on the last Wednesday of every month and U.S. and Indian holidays.
- Complete passport application online and Form DS-64: Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport
- Print application and prepare required documents before the interview (whether you have an appointment or not)
- Make an appointment here and print appointment letter.
- Complete and print your online application here.
Required Documents for Passport Replacement:
- Police report
- Proof of your identity and U.S. citizenship, if available.
- One (1) recent 2"x2" (5 cm x 5 cm) color photograph taken against a white background. No other format will be accepted.
- Completed passport application form. Please do not use two-sided printing.
- Do not sign the forms; you will do so in the presence of a consular officer.
- Completed Form DS-64 Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport
Complete fee information is available here. If applying in person, you may pay with cash dollars, cash rupees (at the current exchange rate), demand draft or a major U.S. credit card. Personal checks are not accepted.
Lost Indian Visa
People who lose their passport with their valid Indian visa must apply for an exit visa with the Government of India before departing the country, which takes at least 2-3 business days. More information on obtaining an exit visa will be provided when you come to apply for a replacement passport. Exit visas are not issued on weekends or Indian holidays.
Passport Processing Time
Except in emergencies, passports are printed in the United States and take approximately 7-10 days. Please consider this timeline when renewing or applying for passports. You will receive an automated email when your passport is ready.
Passport Delivery or Pick Up
Once you receive the email stating your passport is ready, you may collect it from our office any day we are open from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. To permit another person to collect your passport, please provide them a signed letter of authorization and your fee receipt. They will need to bring photo identification. You do not need an appointment to pick up your passport.
The U.S. Consulate is pleased to provide courier delivery services for CRBA and U.S. passports. This service will allow for timely tracking and fast delivery of your CRBAs and passports. Please carefully read the instructions below to arrive at your appointment prepared.
1. The INR 300 fee may be paid by cash or demand draft in favor of “FIRST FLIGHT COURIERS LTD” at the First Flight Courier Office, 50 Chowringhee Road, Kolkata 700 071 (Landmark: IISCO House (Ground Floor of Building 2. This is opposite of Birla Planetarium), Working Hours: 10:00 -18:00 hrs IST, Monday to Saturday except all National & State holidays. For Further queries please contact First Flight Couriers Ltd at 033-3026171-1760 (within India) and overseas +91-33-30261751-1760 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com. Drafts can be drawn on any nationalized or foreign bank operating in India. Drafts of co-operative banks are not accepted at this time. Along with your payment, you will also be asked to submit a completed courier slip (PDF 6.5KB). Note: If not serviceable the consignment will be returned back to the consulate.
2. Once your CRBA or U.S. passport application is processed, the ACS Unit will return the sealed courier envelope containing your CRBA or U.S. passport to First Flight.
3. Once your CRBA or U.S. passport reach First Flight, you will be able to check the status of your delivery on First Flight’s website.
4. You will receive a receipt from First Flight with the return of your CRBA or U.S. passport.
If you opt to pick up your CRBA or passport in person, you may do so between 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m Monday through Friday, excluding the last Wednesday of the month and American and Indian holidays. You do not need an appointment to pick up your CRBA or U.S. passport.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are submitting your passport renewal application by mail and would like to have your new passport couriered to you, please submit a courier slip (PDF 6.5KB) and an additional bank draft for INR 300 payable to "First Flight Couriers LTD". Bank drafts for courier fees can be drawn on any nationalized or foreign bank operating in India. Drafts of co-operative banks are not accepted at this time.