Passport services require appointments, which are available for American citizens Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm. We are closed on the last Wednesday of every month and on American and Indian holidays.
Please arrive fifteen minutes before your appointment to clear security. Mobile phones, electronic devices other restricted items are not permitted inside the Consulate.
Online application tips:
- Complete the address fields completely. If you are in India, your passport will not be sent back to the United States. When you drop off your application, you can designate if you wish to pick it up or have it sent to you by registered mail to an address in India. Please note that we cannot accept responsibilty for passports lost by the Postal authorities.
- If completing an application without a social security number, you may enter all zeroes as a placeholder.
- Expedite fee: You do not need to select the "expedite fee" option; passports printed for citizens abroad are automatically expedited.
- Please fill out the emergency contact information even though it is not required to submit the application.
- Print the form but please do not use two-sided printing.
- Unless renewing by mail, only sign the forms in the presence of a Consular Officer.
Passport applications should be printed and supporting documents prepared before you come to your appointment.
For more information on required documents and the application process, choose your service:
Complete fee information is available here. If applying in person, you may pay with cash Dollars, cash Rupees (at the current exchange rate), demand draft or a major U.S. credit card. Personal checks are not accepted.
Passport Processing Time
Except in emergencies, passports are printed in the United States and take approximately 7-10 working days. Please consider this timeline when renewing or applying for passports. You will receive an automated email when your passport is ready.
Passport Delivery or Pick Up
Once you receive the email stating your passport is ready, you may collect it from our office any day we are open from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. To permit another person to collect your passport, please provide them a signed letter of authorization and your fee receipt. They will need to bring photo identification. You do not need an appointment to pick up your passport.
The U.S. Consulate is pleased to provide courier delivery services for CRBA and U.S. passports. This service will allow for timely tracking and fast delivery of your CRBAs and passports. Please carefully read the instructions below to arrive at your appointment prepared.
1. The INR 300 fee may be paid by cash or demand draft in favor of “FIRST FLIGHT COURIERS LTD” at the First Flight Courier Office, 50 Chowringhee Road, Kolkata 700 071 (Landmark: IISCO House (Ground Floor of Building 2. This is opposite of Birla Planetarium), Working Hours: 10:00 -18:00 hrs IST, Monday to Saturday except all National & State holidays. For Further queries please contact First Flight Couriers Ltd at 033-3026171-1760 (within India) and overseas +91-33-30261751-1760 or by e-mail at email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org. Drafts can be drawn on any nationalized or foreign bank operating in India. Drafts of co-operative banks are not accepted at this time. Along with your payment, you will also be asked to submit a completed courier slip (PDF 6.5KB). Note: If not serviceable the consignment will be returned back to the consulate.
2. Once your CRBA or U.S. passport application is processed, the ACS Unit will return the sealed courier envelope containing your CRBA or U.S. passport to First Flight.
3. Once your CRBA or U.S. passport reach First Flight, you will be able to check the status of your delivery on First Flight’s website.
4. You will receive a receipt from First Flight with the return of your CRBA or U.S. passport.
If you opt to pick up your CRBA or passport in person, you may do so between 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m Monday through Friday, excluding the last Wednesday of the month and American and Indian holidays. You do not need an appointment to pick up your CRBA or U.S. passport.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are submitting your passport renewal application by mail and would like to have your new passport couriered to you, please submit a courier slip (PDF 6.5KB) and an additional bank draft for INR 300 payable to "First Flight Couriers LTD". Bank drafts for courier fees can be drawn on any nationalized or foreign bank operating in India. Drafts of co-operative banks are not accepted at this time.